Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ghost in the House

Paul believes in ghosts.  He even believes they are here in our house.  Every so often he'll hear or see something that he can't explain and he'll tell me about it.  I must be the least other-worldly sensitive person on the planet because I have NEVER witnessed anything that can't be explained.  I've been told it's because I'm stubborn.  This is something that happened today that still has me a bit freaked out.

Sean had a bad day which means we ALL had a bad day.

The boys spent the night with Pop and Didi last night so Paul and I could go out for our 5th wedding anniversary.  Mom said they both woke up at 5:00am so when we got there at 9:00am to pick them up they were back asleep!  This, of course, wasn't part of my plan.  Usually they don't take their nap until after lunch.  I'd planned on taking a shower and wrapping my present for the Baby Shower I was attending today after they went down for their afternoon nap.  Now, that wasn't probably going to happen.  Oh well.  Rarely do things go as I planned.

All the way home from Mom's house Sean cried for his Didi.  When we got home he cried for cookies.  He cried for Milk.  He cried for Christopher's cookies and milk.  He cried when I held him.  He cried when, exhausted, I put him down.  He cried during lunch.  He cried watching a video.  He cried when Paul told me to just go take a shower and I left the room to get ready.  He cried all "bleeping" day.

While I was drying my hair, Paul came in and told me he put Sean down for a nap.  He didn't know what else to do.  Sean must be tired because we'd tried everything else.  I could hear him howling in his room as Paul told me this.  He took the baby monitor and Christopher into the TV room and I turned the hair dryer on because I can't stand to hear my baby cry. 

I finished getting ready and snuck into the kitchen.  I was somewhat shocked that Sean had settled down and was hopefully asleep.  I was about to leave and I needed to let Paul know I was headed out.  I didn't want Christopher to see me in case he got upset that I was leaving, so I did what any of the kids today would do.  I called my husband who was in the very next room.  He told me to be careful and then said something odd.  He said "When you went in to check on Sean was he already asleep?"  I told him that I didn't go into the room to check on him.  There was a silence pause and then he said that a little while ago he glanced at the monitor to check on Sean because he'd quit crying and he saw a long sleeved ADULT hand in front of the monitor's camera and it was making a patting motion.  Like it was patting Sean down to calm him.  The camera is positioned so that if Sean is at the side of the crib closest to it there is a blind spot.  I don't like it, but there isn't a better way to position it without mounting the camera on the ceiling.  I told him that he must have seen Sean's hand and I left for the Shower.  I won't go into the rest of the evening after I got home, but even after this second nap Sean cried nearly non-stop until he and Chris went "Nite Nite" at 7:30pm.

After the kids went to bed, Paul told me he was positive it wasn't Sean's hand in the monitor and was I SURE I didn't go in to check on him?  I told him I never went into the room.  And he was starting to scare me.  If he really did see a hand then someone was in the house.  I made him go check every room and closet we hadn't been in today.  Of course, no one was there.  He believes it was a ghost or perhaps Sean's guardian angel calming him down and getting him to sleep.  I wish there was some kind of backup in the monitor where we could rewind it and check, but there isn't.  I just have Paul's word that what he saw was real.  Of course I didn't see anything.... as usual. 





No comments: