Tuesday, October 22, 2013

How I Met Your Father

Hey kids,
Back in January 2006 your dad sent me an email.  He was browsing on some dating website that no one your age has probably ever heard of and he found an old profile of mine.  I hadn't been active on the website for a while and I think it took me a couple of weeks to even see your dad's first message.  We only had email back in the day.  Not sure what you're using now.  Probably telepathy.  Anyway, I was tired of dating.  Men in my time were having an identity crisis.  Did they open the door for me?  Did they leave me to my own devises?  Did they pay for dinner or would that insult me?  It got old.
I almost deleted his message without ever reading it, but on a whim decided to see what it said.  The very first sentence was a challenge.  "Our age difference might be too great for you, but.." and that's all I think I read.  I got insulted.  He didn't know me.  How dare he presume that he was too old for me!!  So I sent him a very nice response with my best pictures attached.  He was going to be VERY sorry! :-)  Never mind that my last date was 8 years younger than me.  Yeah.  Your mom was a cougar.
We agreed to meet at a Starbucks.  Back in the day it was still kind of embarrassing to say you met online, so we told everyone (at first) that's where we met for the first time.. and it was true.  I got there early so I could get a place to sit and read a book.  I wanted to look smart.  I don't know how smart I really looked sitting there reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  He walked in the door and he looked just like Paul Newman (Google him).  He had the prettiest blue eyes I'd ever seen.  You both got his eyes.  Look out girls!
The rest, they say, is history.  We only dated for a couple of months before your father fell hopelessly in love with me and begged me to marry him.  I eventually said yes.  We were married December 9th, 2006.  
That's my story.  Your father might have a different one :-)

No comments: