Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Time of Change


I haven't updated this in a while.  Several things have been going on that I haven't much felt like talking about.  Some things have changed for the better.  Other changes I haven't decided about yet.

The biggest change came with a new job!  I am now a Project Manager for idGROUP in Dallas - www.idgroupdallas.com.  I won't go into detail how I got the job (boring stuff about interviews and portfolios) but I will say it was happenstance.  I had been considering a change but I wasn't sure what form of change I wanted.

After the boys were born I took a year off work and, when I was ready to go back, my previous employers greeted me with open arms.  I did not leave because I was unhappy with my work.  I was, however, feeling like I was missing something.  Money was tight and my post-recession pay-reduction was still in effect.  But so was everyone's, right?  Then why wasn't my heart into it? 

Not long after I went back to work I found out I was pregnant again.  This makes the second time since the twins were born.  My last one ended in a missed miscarriage.  Sadly, this one did too.  I became despondent.  Was I truly wanting another baby?  Paul and I sat down and had a business-like discussion about the pros and cons of having another baby and we decided that it would be financially irresponsible.  Not to mention having another child would really stress us out and the boys need SO much of our time and attention that it just wouldn't be fair to bring another child into our world right now.  The RIGHT NOW is the problem.  If we were younger, we could wait.  But we're not.  It's RIGHT NOW or NEVER.  And I'm broken-hearted about it.  So, I needed something.  A change.  But what?  I'm not very good at praying but I prayed over this.  The opportunity with idGROUP came at this time and I felt like this was my answer.  While I didn't have a peace about not having another baby, I did find peace over changing jobs.

So far the new job has been great.  The commute is longer and the work is not as exciting, but it's a different culture which is just what I needed.  Working for an interior's firm is different, to say the least.  At first I'd thought I'd made a horrible mistake, but now I think it was the exact right thing to do.  I had been with my previous employer for nearly 7 years and leaving that was hard.  Leaving people I trusted and respected was hard.  But the change was good.  Change can be good. 

I'll leave you with a few of my favorite quotes about change ~

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine. ~Robert C. Gallagher

If you're in a bad situation, don't worry it'll change. If you're in a good situation, don't worry it'll change. ~John A. Simone, Sr.

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies. ~Author Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was excited to come across your site a short while ago. I arrived here today hoping to learn interesting things. I was not upset. Your well thought out ideas with new strategies on this subject matter were enlightening and a great help to me. Thank you for making time to create these things and for sharing your mind.